I’m not a big fan of pound cake as I have always preferred the soft and fluffy texture of chiffon cake. Nevertheless, I bought a new cake mold and decided to bake with it for the first time. I found this lemon cake recipe from Joyofbaking.
- 230g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 200g granulated white sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- Zest of 1 large lemon (outer yellow skin of lemon)
- 260g all purpose flour (I used cake flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 60ml fresh lemon juice
- 115g confectioners’ (powdered or icing) sugar, sifted
- 2 – 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- I used a nonstick cake mold, so I didn’t spray any cooking oil on the mold. But if yours is not the nonstick type, please spray some oil or apply butter on the inner side of the mold.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add in eggs, one at a time until well incorporated.
- Fold in sifted flour, baking powder, salt and lemon zest, by adding in lemon juice alternately in 2 or 3 addition until you have a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into the mold and smooth the top with a spatula
- Bake the cake for 40 – 50 minutes.
- Once baked, take out the cake and unmold it. Let it cool down on a wire rack.
- Place icing sugar in a mixing bowl and add in lemon juice until you have a thick and smooth glaze. Pour the glaze on the cake and allow it to drip down the sides. Let the frosting dry before storing.