I bought some oranges yesterday and decided to use some for orange chiffon cake. It’s my first orange cake and I must say, I love it.
Here’s the recipe:
- 7 egg yolks
- 50g sugar
- 60ml orange juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp orange flavor
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 tbsp grated orange zest
- 110 self-raising flour or cake flour added with 1 tsp baking powder
- few drops of orange coloring (optional)
- 7 egg whites
- 100g sugar
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Whisk egg yolks with sugar until pale white. Add in salt, oil, orange zest, orange juice and coloring and mix well. Fold in sifted flour until a batter is formed.
- Beat egg white until foamy and add cream of tartar. Add sugar and continue to beat in high speed until stiff peak.
- Gently fold the beaten egg white mixture into egg yolk batter until well mixed. Pour the mixture into 22cm chiffon cake mold and bake in preheated oven at 160deg for 50 minutes or well cooked.
- Once baked, remove from oven and invert the cake to cool.